Happy New Year!! Wishing you all the joys of the season and happiness throughout the coming year.
By my count, I’ve seen roughly 30 productions ranging from one night only specials to Broadway mainstays. There have been hits, flops, and some mehs. As the year comes to a close, it’s time to review my favorite shows of 2018.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. WOW. I have been fortunate enough to see this show twice. I’ve sat in both the front orchestra and the actual last row of the theater and saw the show over the course of two days and the day long marathon. There is no wrong way to experience the show. The effects, cast, choreography, music, and magic all make this show a true can’t miss. Also, it’s wonderful to go back to Hogwarts.
- The True. Edie Falco is a force of nature and at the top of her field. I hope to see more of her onstage in the upcoming years.
- Dear Evan Hansen. I’m nearly two years late to DEH, but I’m beyond obsessed. The music is sensational, and the plot is emotionally devastating. I hope to see it again.
- Once on This Island. The innovative staging, powerful voices, and heart-wrenching story made this a can’t miss. I’m gutted that it’s closing in January
- The Band’s Visit. According to Spotify, “Answer Me” was my most listened to song of 2018. The Band’s Visit is a subtle and poignant examination of the quality that makes us human. I hope to visit Bet Hatikva again.
- Most Immersive Experience: King Kong
- Biggest Viral Sensation: Be More Chill
- Best Special: Red Bucket Follies
- Best Adaptation from Screen to Stage: Clueless, The Musical
- Spookiest Hell Dream: Book of Mormon
- Biggest Heartbreak: Spongebob’s Cancellation